Friday 18 February 2011

Mycenae - Gateway of the Lion




Well, this old photo from my world trip says on the back, 'Gateway of the Lion, very famous apparently'.

It's in Mycenae. Greece, near Athens. Can't remember what the hell we were doing there though. Didn't even know about it, shame on me for someone with a degree in Ancient and Medieval History and Archaeology.

We'd got dropped off on the bus from Athens (or maybe we had taken the train??) and gone down the road to the youth hostel, and then, when I discovered there was a famous archaeological site up the road, we were off to find it. Rucksacks dumped, sleeping bags spread out to claim our bunks, and we were back up the hill in the not very cold Greek winter to find this famous site.

I think there was meant to be orange picking around there too. We didn't find any work. At least I have a pic of a very famous site. Similar to the one on Wiki :D

Edited to add:

I forgot when writing about Mycenae to mention my trip to Delphi, of which I don't have a pic. For some reason I don't remember, my travel companion didn't accompany me on that one, so off I went on my own with a tiny overnight bag as I figured I would need to find somewhere to stay. For another reason I don't remember there was no direct bus, but the tourist people told me it was easy enough to change at whatever village in the middle of nowhere and pick up the Delphi bus. And no, I didn't want to fork out lots of drachmas for an organised tour. I wanted to organise my own tour. Which I spectacularly failed to do. After wandering around said village in the middle of nowhere for around an hour trying to find anyone who could even understand remotely what I was asking about where to get the bus to Delphi, I gave up, and got the bus back to Athens. So that's why there is no pic of Delphi. And just as well I have this one of Mycenae.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.